Statue of The Queen Victoria
Building - QVB Shopping Centre
The Queen Victoria Building,
known to Sydneysiders as the QVB, is a shopping centre
situated in 455 George Street Sydney, New South Wales.
Designed by George McRae in
the Romanesque style, the Queen
Victoria Building was inaugurated in 1898. Built during
Sydney’s hardest years of recession, the QVB was erected in
honor of Great Britain’s
reigning monarch, Queen Victoria.
The grand design of the
building was made in such a way as to create employment for
out of work artisans such as stoneworkers, plasterers, and
stained-glass makers. It was a difficult time to be out of
work and this project created jobs for nearly everyone.The Queen Victoria Building
occupies an entire block and is surrounded by George,
Market, York, and Druitt Streets. The QVB has the following
A very large centre dome
with two domes one on top of the other-a glass dome
inside and a copper sheathed dome on the outside.
windows throughout the building.
An antique 19th
century staircase near the dome.
Restored pillars, arches,
balustrades, and tiled floors.
The Queen Victory Building in
1820 – A building two
floors high called the Greenway’s Market House was built
to oversee and manage the market.
1828 – The Greenway’s
Market House was converted into a Magistrates Court and
Police Station. It later became the Central Police
1829 – The square is
officially turned into a market square.
1869 – A roof is installed
to cover the entire market.
1887 – The official city
architect is George McRae.
1888 – Plans are drafted
for the new George Street Market.
1893 – Construction starts
with the excavation. McRae presents four designs for the
QVB in different styles: Gothic, Queen Anne,
Renaissance, and Romanesque. The Committee on the Market
select the Romanesque plan and mandates that the
building should have the following:
1896 – Design elements for
the interior such as the allegorical group of sculpture
on the central arch on George Street are commissioned.
1897 – The Committee
decides to name the building the Queen Victoria Markets
Building in the British Queens honour.
July 21, 1898 – The QVB is
inaugurated, presided over by Mayor Alderman Matthew
1918 – The “Markets” is
deleted in the original name of the building and it is
now called the Queen Victoria Building.
1959 – The QVB is
threatened with demolition due to its deteriorated
June 1980 – Restoration of
the QVB is awarded to Ipoh Ltd.
1998 – The QVB celebrates
its 100 years of service.
The most memorable image of
the Queen Victoria Building is that of the Queen herself at
the southern end of the building. It was done by the Irish
sculptor, John Hughes, and was donated by the people of
Ireland to the people of Sydney in 1987.