NSW Government House, Australia
South of architectural
great Sydney Opera House, overlooking spectacular Sydney
Harbour, lies historic Government House. A prime example of
Gothic Revival architecture, the Government House was and
still is the prime seat of the Governor of New South Wales.
The Government House is also used as the residence of Her
Majesty the Queen of Great Britain and other British Royals
whenever they come to visit Sydney. Visiting Heads of State
from other countries also make their home here whenever they
are in the area.
In January 1788, Captain Arthur Phillip
brought a canvas house from England and made it the
first Government House in New South Wales.
In 1789, a 2-storey brick and stone
building was built and used by the first nine governors of
New South Wales (from Phillip to Gipps).
But this one
was always in poor condition and was demolished in 1846.
Between 1837-1845 the now existing government House
was designed by Edward Blore and Mortimer Lewis. In 1996
the Government House became open
to the public and admission is free.