Chimney Pots, Sydney, AU
Old historical buildings in the city of Sydney, Australia
still have those
short earthenwares sitting on top of their chimneys.
These architectural “ad-ons” are called Chimney Pots which
are hand made.
function is to increase draft through the chimney.
global warming concerns discourage the use of coal to warm
buildings, hearths and chimneys have become relics of the
Chimney pots are now mainly used in Sydney as decorative accents
to houses and buildings to give them that Old World flavour
look that was
so common for the old days.
The new handmade chimney pots come in a variety of colors,
shapes, sizes, and
styles. Those small companies in Sydney who
still manufacture them still make them by
hand and bake them in kilns.
Chimney pots serve as reminders
of the past and of good craftsmanship.
History of Clay Pottery in Australia:
- 1788 – Clay from Australia was sent to Josiah
Wedgwood in England for suitability in making pottery.
The “Sydney Cove Medallion” was made from this clay
sample. The Medallion is a neoclassical style relief
sculpture symbolizing Hope, Peace, Labour, and Art.
- 1801 – Samuel Skinner, a free settler who married a
convict, was the very first pottery maker to settle in
Australia. His work was in great demand until his death
in 1807 from over exhaustion.
- 1830s – A pottery shop in Glebe, Sydney was founded
by Enoch Fowler. He manufactured clay pipes, terra cotta
tiles, chimney pots and other products for commercial
Brunswick Pottery and Brickworks the same type of
products well into the 1950s.
- 1840s – Pottery manufacturing shops in South
Australia were built in Northwood, Kensington, and
- 1858 – George Guthrie established the Bendigo
Pottery which is still well known to this day.
- 1876 – Saw the establishment of the Lithgow Valley
Colliery Company which produced domestic items such as
bedpans, jugs, teapots, bowls, and jars. This company
closed on 1896.
- 1881 – John Campbell bought a branch of Brunswich
Pottery in Launceston which was first built in the
1870s. The first in the country to use electricity in
manufacturing, the company later changed its name to
Campbell Electric Pottery. By 1926, it had again changed
its name. This time to J. Campbell Pty Limited and
continued to produce household pottery until it’s
closing in 1959.
- 1885 – The Mashman Brothers and James Sandison
teamed up to start the Mashman Brothers Pottery in
Sydney at Chatswood. They produced fine quality
salt-glazed wares until they sold out in 1959 to Royal
- 1890s – The ever entrepreneurial Baker Brothers, who
were primarily brick makers, expanded their business to
include domestic pottery making. They were in this
business until 1955.
- 1929 – Premier Pottery, which specialized in
“Remued” wares, was established in Preston Melbourne.
- 1940 – Diana Ware, started by Eric Lowe in
Marrickville, Sydney, produced domestic pottery well